Monday, April 13, 2020

Combining my new toys

I guess adults are no different from kids. I recall back in the days when I got a new toy, I would think of ways to play it with the old ones. I dug out my old Akai USB-EWI and connect it to GarageBand on my new iPad to play with the sounds available, which is fun. Next I want to combine the sound from the iPad with the background track played via Audacity on my Mac (where I can import an mp3 and change tempo/pitch, remove vocal... etc) However, my MacBook Air does not offer the headphone jack as a line-in so I cannot output the signal from my iPad to it.  Then I realized I do have a new Tascam US-32 audio interface sitting around that can do the job! So, here are all the glory details of the setup:
Akai USB-EWI to USB hub
USB hub to iPad via the "Camera" lightning adapter
iPad headphone out to Tascam US-32 line-in
Tascam US-32 USB out to Mac
Tascam US-32 headphone out to headphone.

In Audacity on Mac, choose Tascam US-32 as both the input and output device. Play the track and the Akai USB-EWI as the same time and you can hear them in the headphone together. 

Of course that's not a very practical live performance setup but it's fun and cool to know I have the equipments to do it!

No comments: