Monday, November 07, 2005

Genre: Metal (State of Metal Pt I: Trends and bands)

For those who said metal was dead: you couldn't be more wrong. Not only it's alive and kicking ass, I'd say it's healthier than ever. A lot of fans restarted listening again. That's what my bandmate in HK and I chatted about the other day. The first band I mentioned was of course System of a Down (see my previous post)

Other bands I wanna recommend are:
- Trivium: a promising young band with a sound that reminds me of the great tradition of 90's thrash metal, i.e., Metallica and Testament.
- Children of Bodom: they have been around but unlike most bands started around the same time, their guitarists know how to play the instrument. And their keyboard doesn't sound lame either.
- Lamb of God: arguably the "leader" of the current thrash/death metal generation.
- Arch Enemy: gotta root for a real metal band fronted by a lady (Angela Gossow)

As far as trends are concerned, metal is cyclical just like any other art form. Nu metal doesn't seem as popular lately. Linkin Park hasn't release any new stuff for some time. Even Limp Bizkit doesn't generate lots of headlines anymore. However, Korn
and Slipknot still have a heavy presence in my playlists. The former has released a greatest hits while the latter has a live double album. Both serve as good introductions to their best stuff.

On the other hand, lots of late 80 early 90 thrash/death metal bands are making comeback, like Obituary, Death Angel, Exodus, and Nuclear Assault. All of them haven't release any new stuff in years! Their new stuff may not be as good as their old one but I'd still be glad to listen to them.

No comments: