Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Track: Hypnotize

Artist: System Of A Down

System of A Down is the type of band that gives music lovers like me reasons to listen to today's new music. It doesn't even matter if I like all of their music (see my previous post.)

For some reason I keep writing about music with political messages and it's another one of them: (copied from this link )
[Verse 1]
Why don't you ask the kids at Tiananmen Square
Was fashion the reason why they were there?
They disguise it, hypnotize it
Television made you buy it"

[Verse 2]
She's scared that I will take her away from there
Dreams that her country left with no one there
Mesmerize the simple minded
Propaganda leaves us blinded

[Chorus]
I'm just sitting in my car and waiting for my girl

While the verses are self-explanatory, the chorus is not as obvious. I googled a bit and found the band mentioned in an interview that it refers to a "common" person. I guess it means a person could be doing his everyday activities while ugly politics happen elsewhere. Whether one affect the other or not is up to your interpretation.

Talking about their political lyric, I must mentioned this from "B.Y.O.B":
"Why don't presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?"

Rhapsody Link

No comments: