Friday, March 18, 2005

Service: Napster-to-go

Previously I wrote an article about the virtue of a subscription-based music service Note that my excitement about subscription-to-go services is only theoretical as I have subscribed to Rhapsody but not Napster-to-Go for lacking compatible MP3 player. Here is a detailed review of the latter from The New York Times. Both of us brought up the same point/appeal of the low cost of experimenting with new music. It's interesting to see that the reviewer wrote 'I hit Napster thinking that maybe half of the tracks I'd want would be "buy only." To my amazement, it was less than a tenth..... even, yes, Metallica have made their entire catalogs available for subscription download.'

Side note: his comments about ditching his TiVo was equally interesting: 'I recently discovered (with some horror) that I could live without TiVo. Time Warner Cable offered a box with better picture quality at a better price - about $9 a month with nothing up front. Compared with TiVo, the new box's interface is medieval dentist painful to use, but I use it and I don't look back.'

No comments: