Thursday, April 14, 2016

Classical Saxophone

I read this book "The Devil's Horn" about the history and current state of saxophone way before I started playing myself. Now that I have played for a bit, I re-read the book and found it even more interesting since I could relate more to the contents about playing. One chapter was about how saxophone was being "discriminated" in the world of classical music. Still, there are some beautiful music written, like the Concertino by Ibert (I am listening to a performance by a duo of saxophonist Robert Black and pianist Patricia Black) The book also mentioned Frederick Hemke, who studied at U of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and taught the likes of David Sanborn at Northwestern (coincidentally, I watched Eric Marienthal's interview of Sanborn recently and the latter mentioned how unprepared he was when he went to college!) Hemke had a few albums available on Rhapsody. "Simple Gift" contains some avant garde saxophone music. Finally, Milton Babbitt's "All Set" for tenor sax, trumpet, trombone, bass, vibes, piano and drums, was mentioned and it was included in the album performed by Boston Modern Orchestra Project.

No comments: