Monday, May 25, 2015

Vito and Yamaha saxophone

After playing my rental saxophone for a few weeks, I decided to take the plunge and get one of my own. Many suggested Yamaha YTS (T for Tenor) series as a good starting point so I started looking for used ones on Ebay. Still, they were a bit over my budget. Then I came across discussion about "vintage" Vito's saxophone that were actually made by Yamaha. Those were the days that Japanese manufacturing were deemed inferior. It's the opposite today of course: Yamaha is way more famous than Vito and actually have their horns made else where! The Vito tenor sax I eventually bought was supposed to be the equivalent of a Yamaha YTS-23. Some histories about this brand: according to Wikipedia the name came from one of the founder
Vito is a brand name for Leblanc USA, now part of Conn-Selmer USA. The Vito name was used for student instruments. Leblanc USA was formed in 1946 by Vito Pascucci, and the French woodwind manufacturer, G. Leblanc Cie of France.

No comments: