Friday, July 25, 2014

我的結他雜記: Martin Taylor/Julian Lage on improv and chord voicing

My mailbox has so many unread emails that I barely have time to catch up. I did subscribe to many music related newsletters. For example, I got emails from Artist Works, the online school where Martin Taylor teaches (Jimmy Bruno used to teach there) Mr. Taylor posted a free lesson demonstrating how to practice and use chord tones in improvisation over a common ii-V-I chord progression:
Coincidentally, from the Facebook page of Stanford Jazz Workshop (which I recently attended), there's a link to a video in which Martin Taylor and Julian Lage discussed chord voicing:


Speaking of Lage, his music keeps growing on me: I saw him performed with the Seasons Guitar Quartet and as a duo at Stanford Jazz last year. Lage and pianist Fred Hersch released a very impressive duet album: Free Flying. And things really came full circle when I listened to another link from SJW's FB page: a NPR interview of Fred Hersch!

No comments: