Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Track: Condor Man

Artist: Akira Tana
Album: Moon over the world
Label/Catalog#: SONS OF SOUND/70018

This is one of those truly amazing musical moment: I was casually listening to the Jazz channel on Music Choice (the service bundled with Directv) and the familiar melody of a theme song from a Hong Kong kung fu TV series appeared which totally caught me off guard. I immediately paid closer attention and reconfirmed that I haven't mistaken. I was even more surprised when I saw the artist is a Japanese! Googled the name and found out he actually collaborated with Hong Kong jazz pianist Ted Lo so suddenly it all makes sense.

Ted is playing with words here: Condor Man in Chinese sounds the same as hero, which was part of the title of the kung fu series.

BTW, legendary Hong Kong singer/songwriter Sam Hui has made a parody cover version of this song. I'm actually more familiar with his version than the original. He sang about the heroics of winning the game of mahjong!

No comments: