Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Service: AOL Radio

AOL has release a beta version of its portal today, which I've been waiting for since it's announcement a couple of months ago.

Urgh...... did I say I was looking forward to something from AOL? I'm not kidding. It's because AOL has partnered with XM to create their radio service and offering a few dozens channels free! Even though I didn't took the plunge to XM after a free trial (read my not-so-positive review here, I won't mind having it as a backup/alternative to Rhapsody (To Real: Rhapsody went down again last night! If it doesn't improve, I'm going to take my money elsewhere. You've got competitions!)

My first impression of AOL Radio is pretty good. All of my favorite genres (metal, jazz, blues, classical) are covered. In fact, AOL Radio has a good variety of channels dedicated to the sub-genres under each main genre. IMO, they are a grade above Yahoo's free LAUNCHCast Radio, which has less variety. (If you want more, you need to pay to listen to LAUNCHCast Plus, which still covers less than AOL's) You can't skip tracks on AOL Radio like you could with Yahoo though.

AOL: even though you're not getting a lot of love from the geek land. You do get some from Bigland. It's free! Enuff said.

1 comment:

wjk said...

Who can I complain to at AOL about the AOL Radio station I listen to? I like some of the music very much, but some also stinks. Its the New Age station. I question whether they pay any attention to the ratings of songs that listeners can make. I also suspect there is some "payola" involved in their programing, because they include music that is way out of line with the New Age theme.

Thanks,
wjk
wjkellpro@aol.com